We are finally starting to see a glimpse of summer after a few cold and miserable months, and what better way to enjoy the lovely weather than with 5 days of the world’s greatest flower show? A tradition in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea since 1862, between 24-28 May we will once again see the Royal Hospital Chelsea packed with exquisite plant displays and spectacular show gardens. The world renowned show was once the largest flower show in Britain but has since been overtaken by Hampton Court; however it is still the most prestigious show of its kind.
The theme for 2016’s show is Health, Happiness and Horticulture, focusing on the benefits of greening up Britain’s grey spaces. This year’s highlights include:
- Photography exhibitions and a magnificent floral arch in honour of Queen Elizabeth II 90th birthday
- The Harrods British Eccentrics Garden featuring imaginative garden gadgetry that comes to life with a short performance every 15 minutes
- Musical notes from the Acoustic Garden inspired by world-leading percussionist Dame Evelyn Glennie
- A 1920s Belmond British Pullman carriage planted up as the centrepiece of the Great Pavilion
- A breathtaking poppies tribute by Philip Johnson, in the spirit of the Tower of London poppy display
In addition to all the magnificent exhibits and displays, there will also be unique products for the garden and home on sale throughout the showground, including limited edition sculptures and garden essentials. Don’t expect to be able to pick yourself up a classic garden gnome during your visit though; they are one of the few items forbidden from the Chelsea Flower Show. Although one frequent exhibitor, Jekka McVikar, used to smuggle a gnome into her exhibits!
For a comfortable base to explore Chelsea Flower Show 2016, stay in one of the Rembrandt Hotel’s 194 bedrooms, just a short walk from Royal Hospital Chelsea. Why not rest your feet after a long day at the show in our 1606 Lounge Bar? Treat yourself to a Traditional Afternoon Tea, light meal, or some well deserved cocktails. For more information or to make a booking, call us on 020 3740 8699 or email us at [email protected].
Back to all posts